05 August 2009

NYRA Annual Meeting Post Script

My wife and I attended the NYRA Annual Meeting on the 1st and 2nd of this month. There were goods, bads, and uglies.

Good - Brian Lombrowski and I gave a great presentation. I wasn't planning on going up there and speaking, but I felt I had some good things to say. I talked about LGAT (Large Group Awareness Training) which is the outline for the WWASP seminars. More specifically the Lifespring model. I discussed how the seminars were designed to suck in as many as people as possible to ensure program graduation. My parents, my sister, and my current wife all attended seminars. My wife and I were 16 (not married at the time of course).

Great presentations about lowering the drinking age. Did you know that the United States of America has a higher drinking age than both China and North Korea? Who would have that that straight up communists would have more relax alcohol laws than the our great and free nation.

Students for a Sensible Drug Policy presented. I agreed with all their points except when they said that random drug testing doesn't work. I know from experience it works, otherwise I would be smoking a joint right now.

Bad - Had to drive to D.C. for it.

Ugly - The Students for Liberty debated The Students for a Democratic Society.
DISCLAIMER: I would take great pleasure in punching every SDS member squarely in the face and breaking their nose. I feel like they completely HATE the military (myself included).
Most of the debate consisted of hundreds of obnoxious political terms that mean just about the same thing, except slightly different. Not much conversation concerning Youth Rights (which was the point of the conference). There was one question where some women went on for 5 minutes about some obscure topic. It was so bad that my wife, a Political Science major, had to step out because of how ridiculous their arguments were. That should tell you something.

Bad Part II - The two debate groups ate all of the food provided by NYRA. I would have been happy with a MRE.

But I do have to say that it was worth it. NYRA rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment