19 June 2009

Introduction to Conservative thought

Republican does not equal Conservative!

I am very passionate about that. Republican is a political party, conservatism is a political philosophy which centers on the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and the U.S. Constitution. Whatever my personal feelings on a subject may be, I feel bound by the above laws and documents of our country. My religious views (Buddhism) may reflect in my personal opinions, however my legal ideas are separate.

As far as CAFETY is concerned, residential treatment centers are a festering plague upon our nation. People complain about the abuse at Guantanamo, however they overlook such abuses happening miles away from their homes. Abuses happening to American citizens, both at home and abroad. These youth are not judged by a jury of their peers. Nor do they appear before a judge. They have no lawyer, no legal representation. As far as I am concerned, these youth are falsely imprisoned and deprived of the most BASIC human rights, "life, libery, and the pursuit of happiness."

I was one of these youth. I was kidnapped, taken across county, state, and federal borders. I was taken in the middle of the night to Ensenada, BC, Mexico. I did not see the inside of a court room. I was not judged by a jury of my peers. However, I was thrown into a wall my first hour there. I was told that I was a druggie because I had on a pair of Vans. My rights as a human being were taken away from me with some signatures from my parents.

Think about it, when a minor commits a crime, are they given a trial? Yes. Do they have access to a lawyer and information concerning their legal rights? Yes. So why would a youth, like myself, who never broke the law be stripped of their rights? Owners, employees, and referral agencies are all DIRECTLY responsible for the gross human rights violations committed at these facilities.


Do some youth need to be taken to some form of residential treatment? Yes, definitely. However, there is no justification for depriving these youth of their rights as human beings, let alone American citizens.

1 comment:

  1. I am also a conservative and volunteer for CAFETY.
    This issue has no political lines.

    Everyone knows someone who has been affected by the Residential Troubled Teen industry.

    If you think you don't? Ask around.. you'll be surprised by how many people have been affected by this industry and you might learn more about your friends!

    ReplyDelete